How Do You Wish Someone Irish A Happy Birthday?
The Irish are known for their celebrations. They are also known for their ability to turn a phrase, and the witty use of the English language.
The best Irish Birthday Wishes are heartfelt, sincere, and have just a bit of humor as well. They may be slightly religious and will always get right to the heart of the matter.
This year offer your Irish friend or family member a proper “Lá Breithe Shona dhuit” with one of these traditional Irish Birthday Greetings.
So if you are looking for the perfect Irish birthday blessing to send to a dear friend, you’ve come to the right place.
In this blog post, we share some of the best Irish birthday blessings out there.
So whether you are looking for something heartfelt or funny, we have got you covered! Happy birthday in gaelic, or Slainte!
How To Write Happy Birthday In Gaelic
- Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo aris!
“May we be alive at this time next year.”
- Lá Breithe Shona dhuit!
“Happy Birthday To You”
- Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn.
May you have a long life, a wet mouth and may you be buried in Ireland.
- Sláinte an bhradáin agat.
May you have the health of the salmon.
Keep Track Of Your Important Dates With Our FREE Tracker
What is an Irish Birthday Wish?
Irish birthday wishes are the best way to show someone you care on their special day! With a touch of Irish luck, your loved one is sure to have a birthday they’ll never forget.
Whether you’re looking for something classic or something more unique, we’ve got the perfect Irish birthday wish for you.
So don’t wait, start sending your favorite Irish birthday blessings today!
- May there be a generation of children, on the children of your children.
- May friendship, like wine, improve as time advances. And may we always have old wine, old friends, and young cares.
- May you taste the sweetest pleasures that fortune ere bestowed, and may all your friends remember all the favors you are owed.
- May God give you for every storm, a rainbow. For ever tear, a smile. For every care, a promise. And a blessing in each trial. For every problem life may send, may he send a faithful friend. For every sigh, a sweet song. And an answer for every prayer. Happy birthday! I wish you many Irish blessings.
Other Articles You Might Enjoy
- May your joys be as deep as the oceans, your troubles as light as it’s roam, and may you find sweet peace of mind, wherever you roam. Happy birthday!
- In this New Year in your life, may your hand be always stretched out in friendship and not once in want. Happy birthday dear friend.
- May you walk tall through the sunshine, may you never want for more. May worry never be your lifeline may the Irish angels rest their wings on your door. Happy birthday friend.
Funny Irish Birthday Blessing
No matter how old you are, everyone loves a good Irish birthday blessing. An Irish blessing is a way to wish good luck on someone for their birthday. It’s part of the Irish culture also, to buy someone a Guinness on their birthday and have them make an Irish birthday wish!
- It is better to spend money like there’s no tomorrow, than to spend tonight like there’s no money.
- May I see you gray and combing your grandchild’s hair.
- Here’s to wishing you the top of life without a single tumble. The smiles of life and not a single grumble. The best of life and not a claw about it. The joy in life and not a day without it. Happy Birthday!
- My Irish birthday wish to you is that the face of every good news and back of every bad news be towards you. Happy birthday dear friend.
- My birthday wish for you this day is that as you grow older, the doctors will never earn a pound out of you, happy birthday my dear friend.
What's are Some Good Irish Birthday Toasts?
As an Irish person, I know that we love to celebrate birthdays with some good ol’ Irish birthday toasts.
If you don’t have your own, feel free to use ours, and wish your Irish friend a happy birthday.
- You’re not too old when your hair turns gray
You’re not too old when your teeth decay.
But you’ll know you’re awaiting that final sleep,
When your mind makes promises your body can’t keep.
- Here’s to Destiny. May she not forget us in our time.
- To all the days here and after. May they be filled with fond memories, happiness, and laughter
Celtic Birthday Blessing
- Four blessings upon you…
Older whiskey, Younger women
Faster horses. More money
- May the winds of fortune sail you,
May you sail a gentle sea.
May it always be the other guy
who says, “this drink’s on me.”
- Enjoy this big day of yours, and may the best of your days be yet to come. I wish you a long and happy life.
- With happiness being a dessert sweet, may life give you more than you can eat.
- May your pockets be heavy and heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night.
- God loves you and I believe that you should have an Irish birthday party, let’s go get drunk! Happy birthday to you!
- I wish that you would have the warmest words on the coldest of evenings, you deserve that.
- I believe in fairy tales, in happy endings, and that you will have your own. Happy Birthday
Funny Irish Birthday Quotes
- Do not resent growing old as many are denied that privilege. Happy birthday!
- My wish for you is that your doctor will never earn any money from you. Happy Birthday to you. Let’s drink to your health.
- You are not as young as you used to be but not as old as you are going to be.
- May you always walk in the sunshine. May you never want more for more. May the angels rest their wings right beside your door.
- On a dark night, rest assured that I will be there for you to lean upon, I care for you, friend.
- May you have the health of the salmon.
- Merry met and merry part, I drink to thee with all my heart.
- May your troubles be less and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door! Happy birthday!
- There are two kind of people in this world. The Irish, and those who wish they were.
- Happy birthday! My Irish birthday wishes to you is that as you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction!
Need Some Awesome Irish Birthday Cheer?
- Let all your joys be pure joys and pain be champagne.
- You may live as long as you want but I hope you live it as greatly as you can, I believe in you.
- I just want to be there when your hair is gray, to be old and still be your friend, happy bday!
- Times will pass but our friendship will stay for a long time, happy birthday to you, dear.
- You give me a better outlook on life and you are just like a dessert to my life, thank you bro.
- For each petal on the shamrock I bring a wish your way. Wishes of good health, luck and happiness for this day and every day after. Happy birthday my dear friend.
- I pray that God gives you a rainbow for every storm, a smile for every tear, a promise for every care, a blessing for each trial, a sweet song for every sigh, a friend for every challenge life may send and an answer to every prayer. Happy birthday
- May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.
- May your troubles be less and your blessing be more, one pint seems so little so i’m sending you four. Happy birthday!
- May your life be full of gladness and health, and your pocket full of gold as the least of your wealth. May the dreams you hold dear be the ones that come true, may all the kindness you spread, keep coming back to you. Happy birthday!
- You may not be as young as you once used to be but definitely not as old as you think you are.
Happy Birthday to an Irish Friend
- May you live as long as you want and not want as long as you live.
- May the grass grow long on the road to hell for the want of use.
- I pray your pockets are heavy, and your heart remains light, and that God keeps you in his hands and never close his fist too tight. Happy Birthday!
- May your health be like the capital of Ireland – Always Dublin.
- Let’s go down the road and maybe grab a pint (or 7) and just have the best of times in the pub.
- My wish for you today is that you have joy as deep as the ocean, and troubles as light as foam. Feel love as a deep emotion and find peace wherever you roam. Sending you the best Irish birthday wishes!
- May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door. La breithe shona!
- May you always walk through sunshine, may you never want for more. May Irish angels rest their wings right besides your door. Happy birthday!
- May your pint be always full, and your wallet always thick.
- There is nothing better in the world until you actually celebrate an Irish birthday, enjoy it so.
Funny Irish Birthday Wishes
- If you’re lucky enough to be Irish, then you’re lucky enough! Happy birthday!
- The grass is always going to be greener on the other side so make your side green as well.
- May your liqueur be cold, your women be hot and may your troubles slide off you, slicker than snot. Happy birthday!
- I wish that your health will be as good as it can be because know that I am always here.
- As you slide down the banisters of life, may the splinters never be directed in the wrong way.
- Happy birthday! My Irish birthday proverb to you is that you never forget what is worth remembering and never remember what is best forgotten
- To a long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer and another one.
- I drink to your health in pubs, I drink to your health at home, I drink to your health so many times, I believe I have ruined my own.
- May the Lord take a liking to you, but not too soon.
- May you live long, die happy, and rent a mansion in heaven.
Traditional Irish Birthday Wishes
- May love and laughter light your days and warm your heart and home. Happy birthday!
- I wish you live a hundred years and just have an extra one to repent on your sins, my dear.
- On this beautiful day I wish you a life without a single tumble, smiles of life without a single grumble, the best in life and not a claw about it, the joy of living and not a day without it, happy Birthday my dearest.
- May a mouse never leave your meal bag with a tear in its eye.
- May you die in bed at 95 years, shot by a jealous spouse.
- May you live a long life full of gladness and health, with a pocket full of gold as the least of your wealth, may the dreams you hold dearest be the ones which come true, may the kindness you spread, keep returning back to you. Happy birthday!
- Good luck shall be a friend in whatever you do and troubles will always be a stranger to you, happy birthday dear friend, may you live to enjoy only the best things in life.
- Do not resent growing old as many are denied that privilege. Happy birthday!
- I hope that God gives you strong hands to help you through everything this very night, love
- Always leave your hand open for those who need help, you should be kind, enjoy your bday!
- May your pockets be heavy, and your heart be light, may the Lord keep you in his hand though never close his fist too tight. Happy Birthday!
A Warm Irish Birthday Blessing
- I want you to live a life that is happy and Guiness filled! Happy Bday!
- May your coffin be built from a hundred-year-old oak tree that I shall plant tomorrow.
- Fad saol agat. “Long life to you”.
- An Irish birthday is the best way to celebrate you turning into an older person, happy bday!
- You just need to keep on being on your best behavior because people have phones, girl.
- When you feel so far away I do not even know what to say next but for you to just enjoy life.
- May you have a healthy heart and a wet mouth!
- My Irish birthday toast is that all of your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow. And that all of the troubles avoid you wherever you may go.
- Every evening, your words resonate to me in a way that only you can, thank you my love.
- May all of the good saints protect you and bless you today. And may all troubles ignore you, each step of the way.
- For each petal on the shamrock, this brings a wish your way. Good health, good luck, and happiness for today and everyday. Happy birthday!
- Keep walking under the sun and believe me you will walk toward the right path, enjoy today.
- And when you feel down on your big day, let me throw you an Irish birthday to make it up.
What Are Irish Blessings?
- May you be an hour in heaven before the devil knows you are dead.
- May God grant you many years to live, for sure He knows that the Earth has angels far too few, while heaven overflows.
- My dear I will celebrate your day with you and give you an Irish birthday party, enjoy it so.
- Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bas in Eirinn. “Long life to you, a wet mouth, and death in Ireland.”
How do The Irish Celebrate Birthdays
A traditional Irish birthday is celebrated with a gathering of friends and family. For adults this may happen at the “local” or the favorite local pub.
For children there is an old tradition of “bumping” in which the child is held upside down and their head is gently bumped on the floor a number of times equal to the age.
At 21 years old, the adult child may be given a key to the house, signifying that they may come and go as they please.
Did you know that Ireland has some pretty unique Irish traditions?
One of my favorites is called “drowning the shamrock.” After eating a good meal on St. Patrick’s Day, families will take a shamrock and put it in a glass of whiskey or beer. Then they drink it all down together! It’s a fun way to finish off the meal and toast to St. Patrick himself.
What is your favorite Irish tradition? I’d love to hear about them in the comments!